Thursday, 13 January 2011
A Final Word On The Year That Was...
I have a friend who is a list maniac. He loves to make lists. His lists are his children. He recently made a list of the top live shows from 2010, and given that 2010 was a year that saw me visiting many countries in the name of music, I thought I would do the same. Such an exercise seems to be more worthwhile than the humdrum live review, as this can act as a pointer towards who is good, rather than account of something that has already happened. So...
1. Nils Bech - Slottsfjell Festival, Norway
Disco-opera boy prancing in tight denim as the sun sets.
2. Rufus Wainwright - Kaufleuten, Zurich
'Song-cycle' show, in beautiful theatre, complete with belly-ups during 'The Dream'.
3. John Grant - Green Man Festival
Included an acappella version of 'Chicken Bones', in the rain.
4.The Brian Jonestown Massacre - Abart, Zurich
They didn't seem like they could care less, which made them just too attractive.
5. Yeasayer - Exil, Zurich
The first time I saw the new album live, and was happy.
6. Pavement, Primavera Festival
Finally saw a comeback show, splendid it was.
7. Mayer Hawthorne, Abart, Zurich
He said he had eaten the best meal of his life at Abart.
8.The Black Angels, The Borderline
Too hot to breathe, soulful nonetheless.
9. Field Music, Great Scott, Allston, Mass
Tiny audience but the Brewis brothers on special form.
10. Sleepy Sun, Green Man Festival
One of the last shows before Rachel left.
11.Tame Impala, Enmore Theatre, Sydney
Biggest ever show in Sydney. They slowed everything down, still sounded okay.
12. Crowded House, New Theatre, Oxford
Blissful, including cover of Bowie's 'Moonage Daydream'
13. Built To Spill, Dynamo, Zurich
Second on the bill to Dinosaur Jr, which seemed unholy.
14. The Besnard Lakes, Green Man Festival
One of the best sets of this year's Green Man
15. Scout Niblett, Primavera
Utterly flabbergasted to find I like her.
16. Little Feat, Cropredy Festival
Dayglo t-shirts and all.
17. The Dixie Bee Liners - Cropredy Festival
Very pleasant surprise on a miserable day, with a largely miserable line-up.
18. MV + EE, La Case a Chocs, Neuchatel
Perfect tiny space for the woozed-out couple.
19. Dr Dog, Primavera
New material is good, but it was the Fate stuff that did the job.
20. Monotonix, Primavera
It's Monotonix, which should offer an explanation of this set.